Monday, February 3, 2014

Expat Blog Challenge--Day Four: Reflection

Within this post, I'm meant to read the fifth entry I've made on this blog and reflect upon my frame of mind within it.  Considering this is my 4th blog entry, I am going to have to behave like a seasoned educator and....modify.

Therefore, a reflection on Reflection it is.

Today, my seven year old came home and wanted to teach the family how to meditate.  Apparently, a yoga teacher (or someone of similar background) came to teach the kids about "learning to channel the calm" within themselves.  For my child, this comes in the form of cooling off after she's been re-directed or given any kind of criticism....whatsoever.  This usually results in her slamming doors, quickly and curtly responding "I WILL, O-KAY?!?" or "I'm SORRY, Oh-KAY?!?  

I feel her pain.  Really, I do.  My mother used to chastise me for "The Pout."  As a child, I would purse my lips in a similar fashion to Arnold from Different Strokes (seriously, can we have a Pub Quiz at some point with ONLY 80's TV questions?  I'll NAIL that).  Remove the baseball hat and adjust the grayscale a bit (no need for a height differential--I'm still about that size), and that's me below....circa 1985.

So, it's genetic.  What can I say?  It was a bit humbling to be educated by my 7yo on tranquility.  She did a stellar job--spared no detail.  She even had props (paper "boats" to put on our bellies as we breathed) and a meditative "ocean track" playing in the background.  I'm glad she's practicing the skill early (way to go ISD 2nd grade team!). Me......well.....I'm kind of a "burn the candle at both ends" type.  Rarely does it do me any good to speak of--typically the "snowballing" or "in the weeds"effect and resulting headache....

Dhaka itself does not inspire quiet meditation.  There's constant construction noise, airplanes passing overhead (we live close to airport), incessant barking dogs, horns and bells from traffic noise, loud-speaker amplified prayer calls, people everywhere.  It's a different rhythm than Santo Domingo noise--which I could tune out with no problem--and we haven't really acclimated to the rhythm (not entirely sure we ever will, honestly).  It still physically jars us. So, meditative and quiet time is a treasured commodity.

I've been pondering the wisdom of this gal lately:  "The Day I Stopped Saying 'Hurry Up'"  and, though I confess that my crazy-hectic life still impedes my mastery of the "mindful" lifestyle, at least it's a goal in the forefront of my mind.  Since our move to Bangla, we've instituted a "no electronics" rule for the dinner table (where we do homework, eat family meals together, etc.).  But it is frequently a challenge to keep ourselves focused on what's REALLY  important instead of what's pinging or buzzing or notifying us from various devices within our reach.

I'm encouraged by our willingness to unplug, though.  We have a four-day weekend at the end of this month, and a 2-week break in April (yeah, read that and weep, DR friends!).  We hope to go to Thailand for April, so we're staying put for the 4-day.  My youngest wants to lead a family yoga-workshop, and I'm stoked about it, as she and I are the ones who need it most :).  Perhaps we'll make it a weekly trend....IF we can schedule it in.....(kidding, y'all....Only kidding!).

Peace, hugs, and love to you from the Desh.


12 comments:

  1. A lot of people dream of going to a yoga retreat in India. Look out - she may be onto something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A yoga retreat AND there's a Girl Scout World Center there....oh yeah! Now we're thinking ;).

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through a blog I found through my friend's blog via this expat challenge. Your seven year old sounds like my daughter... Looks like I'm in for lots of new fun as she leaves toddlerhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you, Reeds :) Do you blog? Love to read your stuff as well....and oh, yeah, I've got some toddler stories. One of my friends, upon meeting my 7yo for the first time when she was still a toddler told me, "Oh all of your sins will be paid back through that one!" She's a fiesty one, for sure! :)

      Delete
  3. Can we also use this as an opportunity to learn new things from each other? Okay, cool beans... how do you embed a meme in your blog??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, Yvette, if it wasn't absolutely simple, I probably wouldn't be able to. Basically, you just save a .gif file to your computer just like you would an image, and upload it the same way. No tricks!

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna have to give that a go. LOL

      Delete
  4. You, a pouter? I can't even see that! Hehe! I know I'm going to be in for a world of 'schooling' as my girls grow up. I hope they're as adorable and creative as yours as they do it. And I'm desperately trying to get the Rugby Star to put down his electronics at dinner! I'm going to start saying, "If Kimi can do it, you can do it!" Let's see if that works :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. Gotta love the "What you talking 'bout Willis meme!"" Also, I have to say that is so cool your 7 year old comes home and wants give meditation lessons. I love the fact you take her seriously & let her give her lessons - that is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindfulness is extremely hard and I think it's more of a constant practice than a goal in and of itself. I used to be one of those "hurry up" people, crazy multi-tasker. I couldn't sit still. I don't know when or how it happened, but I just decided I didn't want to be that way and began to practice mindfulness. It's not always easy, but I feel so much better and I'm actually more productive than I was before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Cosette (great name!) and I you're right "constant practice" is a nice way of putting it. It is definitely not always easy, but the payback is so much more rewarding....:).

      Delete
  7. oh Kimi! I think entirely too often about how if Pub Quiz was based on 50's music, 80's music, 80's TV or pop culture in general I would kick even Delman's team's ass. Alas, they always want to include other dumb shit in Pub Quiz like history... ugh! I love reading your posts. they're so you. so funny. so smart

    ReplyDelete